Sunday, June 22, 2014

Kompany eager to fulfil Maracana 'dream'

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

Belgium captain Vincent Kompany hopes to shrug off a groin problem and fulfil "a childhood dream" by leading his team out to face Russia at the Maracana on Sunday. Marc Wilmots's side can secure a place in the last 16 if they overcome Fabio Capello's Russia in the Group H encounter and Kompany is confident he will be fit enough to play at the fabled stadium for the first time.

"I'm doing very well," the Manchester City defender said on Saturday. "I've followed an individual programme these last two days. Today I'm training with the team. If everything goes well, there won't be any problems for tomorrow (Sunday).

"In the worst case, there are valuable players who can replace me. My personal situation is not the most important thing. Playing at the Maracana is an honour, a source of pride. With Wembley, it's the most mythical stadium in the world. I've already achieved lots of my childhood dreams. This is another one.

"I think that all the players, Belgian and Russian, will share the same extraordinary feeling here. And I think it's the case for the journalists as well."

While the knockout phase already beckons for Belgium, some of their European rivals have not fared nearly as well, with Spain and England already out and Italy's chances of qualifying in the balance. Having played his football in England since 2008, when he joined City from German side Hamburg, Kompany said that he felt particularly sorry to see Roy Hodgson's side exit the competition.

"I'm as sad as any other English supporter. I wasn't expecting that," he said. "My wife is English. She thinks that our children are English. In reality, they're Belgian!" he said while laughing. "So it's understandable that we're sad in my family. I have lots of respect and admiration for England and that won't change despite what happened here."

No comments:

Post a Comment